The online Associate of Applied Science Degree in Medical Insurance Billing and Coding is designed to provide instruction in the basic concepts and procedures necessary to perform the tasks associated with filling out health insurance forms, coding medical practice procedures, and medical terminology. The associate degree program provides a combination of academic theory through the general education courses and technical skills through the technical courses that are necessary for today’s medical environment.
Medical Insurance Billing and Coding Associate of Applied Science Online
As a Medical Insurance Billing and Coding professional, you will play a key role in the day-to-day operations of a medical office or healthcare facility. Your job functions can include:
- Translating complex medical terminology into standardized codes
- Using these specific diagnostic and procedure codes to ensure proper patient and insurer billing
- Analyzing, organizing, and evaluating health insurance claim forms
- Performing various administrative tasks in a medical office
MIBC professionals can seek employment opportunities in hospitals, physician’s offices, home healthcare agencies, surgical centers, nursing homes, and other medical facilities.
Students will learn to perform a variety of administrative health information functions, including those associated with organizing, analyzing, and technically evaluating health insurance claim forms and coding diseases, surgeries, medical procedures, and other therapies for billing. Program objectives include:
- Competency in using practices that ensure health information is accurate and complete
- displaying proficiency in the administration and the use of health information systems and software applications
- Expertise in applying healthcare standards, concepts, and regulations in the delivery of healthcare
Graduates from the program may seek employment in hospitals, urgent-care facilities, clinics, insurance companies, home healthcare agencies, and pharmaceutical companies. The program prepares individuals to work as medical insurance billing and coding technicians.